NO, I am not talking about running through the quad and into the gymnasium. I am talking about a running streak. A running streak is running at least one mile, every day. Your run streak is however man consecutive days you can continue this trend. It’s pretty neat to hear about the extreme run streaks that some runner have going on.
I have a few running friends that have built up a run streak that last more than a couple years. So, do I run streak? No, I do not. Run streaking, is just not for me. It is not something I have any interest in doing. I was drained this week, I ended up feeling sick and down-right awful. I lost sleep and missed work. This week was a great example of a time, that running would have done more harm than good. Here are a few of my reasons, for not streaking;
- I need and very much respect the recovery process. I have written about this numerous times already. Growth doesn’t come from the workouts, it comes from the recovery after the workouts.
- Streaking doesn’t help me reach my goals. If your goals are to increase speed and run faster times, streaking could impede your performance growth. There are days, like this week, when running causes more harm than good.
- My body is just not built for streaking. Not all runners are created equally. I am not just talking about some runners being naturally faster than others. I am injury prone. Taking days off allows me to work harder and stay injury free.
- I need mental breaks, as well as physical. At one point, I was burnt out on running. I don’t want to feel that way again. I don’t running to become a chore that I dread. Those days off are a break for me mentally, just as much as they are physically.
- Too much work for one mile. At some point run streakers will run as little as one mile. For me, the work to get dressed and make time for one mile isn’t worth it. At this point in my training, that one mile doesn’t really have any positive effect on my training. Too much work, for junk miles.
I am not saying, run streaking is bad. I think it’s pretty neat. I participated in a month long run streak, and that was enough for me. If you are considering trying a run streak, please take steps to participate safely. Here are a few posts that discuss the positives of run streaking and how to join safely.
Let’s talk about it! Do you run streak? Why or why not?